SDK 03.00.02 abort in dlregister on ARM9

Hi all,

I’m writing to spread some knowledge about a memory initialization problem in the QMI SDK 03.00.02 related to the ciipcchanfixedinfo array and the CIMAXIPCCHAN macro. When compiling for and running slqssdk on an ARM9 32-bit target, I saw the following in /var/log/syslog:

In running slqssdk through gdb, I was able to eventually discover that the ciinit() routine was clobbering the dlgcb struct used in dlregister(), corrupting the dlgcbp->dlpidcount member.

ciinit() attempts to initialize the cigcb struct. It is a simple loop that associates the cigcb.ciipcchanlist.cichanfixedinfop member with a constant data set stored in the ciipcchanfixedinfo array.

The loop iterates based on the return value of cigetnumchannels(), which in turn uses the sizeof(array)/sizeof(array.element) compiler trick to “dynamically” calculate the number of elements in the ciipcchanfixedinfo array at compile time.

The cigcb.ciipcchanlist array member is statically initialized at compile time using the CIMAXIPCCHANNELS macro.

There is a mismatch in the number of elements defined in the “dynamic” array ciipcchanfixedinfo and the “static” array cigcb.ciipchanlist. This results in writing past the end of cigcb.ciipcchanlist and into the dlgcb memory region, resulting in the corruption mentioned earlier.

I cannot get this problem to reproduce on an x86 system, but have noticed odd behaviors on an amd64 system unless the gcc -m32 flag is used. It may be coincident or related. However, it is reliably reproducible on the ARM9 system. I think that this problem would affect all platforms, however.

Simply updating CIMAXIPCCHANNELS to match the number of elements in ciipcchanfixedinfo is one part of the solution. A second part would be to add CIMAXIPCCHANNELS to the array initializer for ciipcchanfixedinfo so that any discrepancies in the future would immediately show up at compile time:

I hope that this helps someone else in the future.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,
I was compile SDK 03.00.02 for CPU=arm9 .but slqssdk can not run segmentation fault error comes . when executing
./slqssdk
segmentation fault
But pre-build binary working for arm9.
Any changes in SDK 03.00.02 .
Give me some inputs.

Thx
Tejas Patil

Tejas,

I encountered something similar while integrating the SDK in a recent product. There were quite a few issues found with both the SDK 03.00.02 and the Gobi S2.9N2.14 drivers.

My quick guess is that you need to do three things:

1. On x64 systems, make sure “-m32” is added to CFLAGS
  2. Change CIMAXIPCCHAN in pkgs/ci/ciudefs.h from 14 to 15
  3. Add CIMAXIPCCHAN to the ciipcchanfixedinfo[] array declaration in pkgs/ci/cipackage.c (such that it becomes ciipcchanfixedinfo[CIMAXIPCCHAN])

I’ve given Sierra a full set of required patches for both software packages, though no official release containing the fixes has been made as of this writing. I strongly suggest reaching out to your FAE and/or sales contact for help in obtaining pre-release versions of both the SDK and the Gobi drivers with the patches provided. (To help find the patches, some guidance for the FAE may be required using the information contained in this thread.)

Good luck,
Chris