Problems With Debugging

Hello!

I am a beginner in programming embedded systems. My small experiences consist of programming an µC C167 with the Keil Developer Software and let some stepper motors run or write some text on lcd. But now I try to develop an application on an Evaluation Board EVBQ2686 from the Glyn Company based on the Wavecom GSM Q2686. Until now I found out how to communicate with the EVBQ2686 via Hyperterminal, managed to upload the sample applications and also created a sample with Open AT Wizard which also runs very well.

So my wish is to do the next step and develop an own application. But unfortunately I dont know how to use the debugging tool. Without the possibility of debugging development doesnt make sense for me. I read the user guide referring to the Target monitoring tool, but I didnt really get any usable results. So I think I need some explanation on how the concept works and something like a user guide for beginners. From my understanding there must be a monitor software running on the target which communicates with some debug tool on the PC. Does it work like this? But where are these “Trace”-commands sent to? Isnt it possible to debug online directly in the development software? I remember when I used the Keil software it was possible to debug the code online step by step in the developer tool like you can do in the MSVS.

Also my board offers one RS232 and one USB interface. Do I have to use the USB for receiving the debug information? And how?

I appreciate your help!

Kolja

Usually, distributors have technical support and will be pleased to demonstrate their products to their customers.
Have you asked them?

Have you checked to see if they offer any seminars, classes, etc…?

The Tutorial takes you through the process if using the Target Monitoring Tool in both Target and Remote modes

The filename is TU_Tutorial_for_Open_AT.pdf - it is included in the SDK installation.

Hello awneil,

thank you for your hint. I found this tutorial and ran through it. It the whole it works fine. Just the Target Monitoring Tool also sends a lot of other informations like this:

Trace IP 1 Embedded : Hello World
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 14516)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 14523)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 8504)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 8507)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 14535)
Trace 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 8655)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 14516)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 14523)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 8504)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 8507)
Trace OPEN 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 14535)
Trace 1 Unable to find the string of the remote trace in the file (ID = 8655)

I found out that I can use a filter to just see the trace messages with IP in the beginning. But its not a nice way. Do you know where these other messages result from?

Also I want to develop an application which makes the Q2686 act as a server for a CSD data call. I want to send a data package via hyperterminal and let the target answer.

Is there any sample code which gives me an idea how to realize this concept? I read about the Subscription to fcm-services configured for GSM_Data-Calls and that FCM has to be configured to GSM CSD call. But for me its not really clear how.

Greetings from Germany,
Kolja

“Also I want to develop an application which makes the Q2686 act as a server for a CSD data call. I want to send a data package via hyperterminal and let the target answer.”

maybe this isnt the right description…

I want to send data via hyperterminal using another gsm modem which has to be connected to the q2686 target via csd call. The target should reply to the modem.