newb questions: C File Input and Output && Emulator

I’m new to this whole game, but I’ve done C\C++ development before. I’m awaiting the arrival of my device (the Fastrack Supreme 20) and am currently designing some software for it. I came across a document that said that LUA couldn’t do file I/O because it has no file structure (luaw-refman.pdf p.12) and I was hoping to confirm this wasn’t the case when using a C\C++ compiled program. So I wanted to ask if file I/O is possible, and if it is an API call or standard C calls. If it’s API some example code would be appreciated.

The other question I had, seeing as how I’m eager to get started and waiting for my device, is whether an emulator exists for the devices/OS. I know there is a terminal emulator. I’m able to compile the example programs, but have been unable to test them. My understanding from what I’ve read thus far is I need to transfer the program to the device and use remote monitoring tools to debug the program. Again any help/clarification would be appreciated.

Where do you think/hope that the files will reside…?

On the Internal 32 Mb Flash.

No, there isn’t a File System provided - you just write Flash Objects.

What are you trying to store that would require a file system?

I am not familiar with what a Flash Object is or how it would differ from a file.
What I’m planning having is a configuration file, containing an unspecified number of strings and numbers, but the program needs to be able to edit its own configuration file.

It’s described in the ADL User Guide - see the section “Flash”

That would be achievable using Flash Objects.

Many of the sample apps use Flash Objects to store their configuration settings.

Thank you.
And just to confirm… As of yet, there is no software that emulates these devices?
And the only way of debugging a new program is with the device connected to the pc using the remote monitoring applications.

p.s. I should be getting my device friday.

The remote execution is already a kind of emulation of the OAT application for OAT debugging on the PC. Emulating the whole module (software/hardware)? What is the point? At the end you would have to test again everything in the final hardware. I mean it’s not a billion dollar airplane, which is cheaper to simulate in software before production.

Cheers,
tom

There are two ways of debugging, and both involve having the device connected to the PC:

1. In Remote Mode, your application runs as a PC executable on the PC - the device “just” maintains the GSM stack;
  2. In Target Mode, your application runs on the device.

In both cases, trace info is displayed on the PC.

See the Tools Manual for details.

Thank you for all your help.