MC7700 stopped working

My MC7700 suddenly stopped working. This is the second time it happened. The first time it happened I purchased a new MC7700 module and all was well again for a month. But now I have the same symptom again so I think it may not be a hardware defect. I have an active AT&T LTE data-only sim in my laptop. Normally the aircard watcher initializes and when the button turns green I can connect. Now it stays red and says “searching”. Hovering over the notification area icon I see “-60 dBm” so clearly it is seeing radio signals. The bars in the watcher are lit but they are red. What does that mean? I captured diagnostics. It is too big for an attachment.

Please see diagnostics captured at: dropbox.com/s/5d6k7bxbr54sjf0/noconnect.zip

I set the APN correctly to ‘broadband’, which is appropriate for AT&T.

I hope you can help me determine whether the hardware is defective or something in the NVRAM or PC notebook configuration.

Thank you.

Hi,

Can you see whether it is attached or not using at!gstatus?

Online, Not attached & attaching. Below is my GSTATUS output.

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 618 Temperature: 54
Bootup Time: 1 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Not attached
LTE band: B4 LTE bw: 20 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 2050 LTE Tx chan: 20050
EMM state: Deregistered Attaching
EMM connection:RRC Idle

RSSI (dBm): -79 Tx Power: 0
RSRP (dBm): -105 TAC: 098F (2447)
RSRQ (dB): -7 Cell ID: 05E4F720 (98891552)
SINR (dB): 11.8

Please look at the GSTATUS output in my previous post as well as the captured diagnostics from my first post if you have a moment, so I know whether the module is defective or not. Could it be that the receiver still works but the transmitter died?

I had not made any configuration changes at all just before it started being unable to connect.

How susceptible are the MC7700 modules to overheating (see above: 54 Celsius) ? My notebook originally had an MC7710 from the factory and now I have an MC7700 in it to use with AT&T LTE. I used foam pads on both sides of the module because that is how the mc7710 was installed. Would it be better to leave the module exposed to moving air (seems located close to the fan), instead of using the foam pads originally there? Also will use of the GPS contribute significantly to heat?

Thanks again. :frowning:

Hi…

Could you check the response of AT!PCVOLT? and AT!PCTEMP?

Thanks much for responding. Please keep up the good work.

at!pcvolt?
Volt state: Normal
Power supply voltage: 3294 mV (127 cnt)

OK
at!pctemp?
Temp state: Normal
Temperature: 46 degC

My gstatus posted above also shows a temp which is 54 and more realistic since I just turned on my notebook so the temp is rather low now.