In Octave, is there a way to persist data on the device between reboots without relying on cell service?

Our concern is that the device will boot, but not be able to find signal. In this case, we still want to record our location for future transmission, but then go back to sleep rather than draining the battery constantly searching for a connection.

Yes, the persistence settings in store and forward control this. You can configure how often the device will save data so that it will survive a reboot in the event it can’t be forwarded to the cloud immediately.

As of firmware version 2.1.1, virtual resource values will persist over a device reboot.

Hi David

The Octave edge serial ORP interface automatically , at the Octave cloud, creates a “Resource” called “remote/”

Is a similar AppNote available regarding ORP resource data in the cloud?

Hi John,

Currently, with ORP. The remote resource is only instantiated in Octave when a serial connection is currently active

Hi David

The following is a total guess as my knowledge of dataHub is miniscule - I’ll be very happy if someone can provide the correct info

Isn’t this a dataHub thing? My guess is that all datahub resources are volatile?

The “built in” Legato apps that populate dataHub do the population on boot whereas the serial port “remote” resources occur when the remote device sends the create command.

If we need the data from a “remote” or app data to persist it’s possible to use virtual resource like this?

Create a new virtual resource
Add a new observation to a “remote” value (or dataset)
Add an edge action to “remote” which populates the virtual resource value
??

Hi John,

First of all, yes you can store the ORP values in virtual resources and have them persist over a reboot , if the firmware version supports VR persistence.

The ORP datahub resources only exist while the Octave enabled device is communicating with the “ORP device”

We are working to enhance ORP to behave in a more robust manner.

1 Like

Hi David

Does the 2.1.4 “remote” app contain any new behaviour?

Thanks

John

Hi John, no we haven’t changed the behavior of ORP in 2.1.4.
ORP does not persist resources, if you need to persist values in the module virtual resources can be used.

1 Like