HL8529 Frequency Bands:

Hi,

HL8529 module supports HSPA B2 and B5 (3G) with AT&T carrier, I want to use this module in India.
In which I have queries to address:

1. Is it possible to use this Module straightforward in India with Airtel as Carrier? Or HL8529 requires having some unlocking to support in India with Airtel carrier.

2. If it’s not possible to use HL8529 in India with other carriers, then which module is best suitable to use in India? I would prefer to have Option 1, as option 2 will require a lot of rework on my board.

Awaiting for valuable feedback ASAP.

Bimalsinh,

The unit should be able to be used without any modification on Airtel using band 1 (which is what they use) assuming they have coverage. We do not network lock any of our units and there is no approval process that we have to go through so using the latest greatest firmware on the unit should be fine.

I would double check with your local distributor for availability.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback,

Can i use Vodafone instead of Airtel, where Vodafone uses B8(900MHz)?

Awaiting your feedback.
Thanks,

Bimalsinh,

No because as you have already pointed out in your original posting, the unit only supports B2 and B5.

Regards

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I think Airtel India Supports B1(2100) and B8(900), only, So i would have to replace it with other module.

Bimalsinh,

Airtel uses primarily B2 across India as shown in the table at the below link, if you need to use B8 for Vodafone then yes you will need to use a different module.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt,

I think Airtel has 1800MHz band, So it’s not supported in HL8529.

Can i replace HL8529 Module with HL8518 Module, As it supports B1 and B8 which is supported by both Airtel and Vodafone.

Let me know if there is any issue in using HL8518 module as replacement.

Bimalsinh,

Yes you can the only difference between the units is the RF front end, other wise they are the same firmware/command set, etc. Same goes for all of the CF3 compatible units as per the scalability guide.

https://source.sierrawireless.com/~/media/support_downloads/airprime/hardware_specs_user_guides/airprime_hl_series_scalability_guide_rev5_0.ashx

Regards

Matt

Matt,
Thanks for your quick support on this.

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately i have ended up with replacing Hl8529 to HL8548-G.

Now to reseamble the power consumption, i want to disable the GNSS in HL8548-G module.
Is it possible to disable the GNSS in HL8548-G module? If yes then How?

Awaiting your support on this.

Bimalsinh,

All you need to do is make sure the auto inititialisation is off with
at+gpsautoinit=0

This will stop the unit powering the GPS up on power up and loading the firmware into its RAM.

Regards

Matt

Thanks Matt, for your valuable support.

Hi,

I have following queries regarding HL8529 3G module design:

1. If i am not using any kind of Antenna detection circuit in my design, Do i need to connect ADC0 and ADC1 to Ground? If not than is there any thing i need to do if i am not using antenna detection circuit.

2. I want to calculate the power consumption of my module design, Is there any power consumption (Power profieling) sheet available for HL8529?

Thanks,

Hi,

Just leave the ADC’s unconnected if you are not using them.

Re the power consumption no there is no ‘profile’, there is the table defining what curent consumption it draws in a given mode but that is it, it is up to the application to put it into the mode that will allow it to meet its current consumption requirements.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your reply,
The datasheet mentions only the current consumption at diff states,
To calculate power consumption, i would require current consumption and each states time frame to calculate.

It would be good if you can arrange the details of each states, timing durations.

I am not sure what you are talking about, you need to give me an example.

Regards

Matt

Example:
system sends 200bytes of data every day once. So if i want to calculate power consumption during this 200byte data communication.

Possible solution:

1. I will require either average power consumpiton of module while transmitting 200byte data, (Network registration + sending data+ Acknolodgement)
  2. Or else i would require multiple details like (Network registration time duration+current/peaks during network registration), (peaks Current consumption during data send + duration of it) and (Acknolodge duration and current/peaks during this).

Let me know if you require any details further.

You need to calculate/test for this yourself as it is network and application design dependent i.e. attach times vary between networks, how far are you from the base station/EnodeB as tx power varies depending on power control, what technology are you using 2G or 3G as they have very different consumption, if there is a poor RF match between the unit and the antenna it will have to tx harder, how much bulk capacitance do you have in the system to soak up the transmission current, etc.

The PTS gives the figures for each of these i.e. 2G consumption (worse case), 3G consumption (worst case), etc to allow you to do the calculation based on measurements you carry out with application. We cannot do it for you.

Regards

Matt

BTW, this has strayed way off the original topic and is not design to be your support line.

If you have a specific question then please raise a different topic.

Regards

Matt

Surely i will raise different topic.

And yes, i undestand that power consumption is totally dependent on application and there are multiple factors that count for.

As you would be knowing, now a days the IoT devices have to be low power. To do so we have to calculate first theoretical power consumption and take certain desicion to tune the design architecture. And to calculate power consumption theoretically, we consider each case in detail as possible, where the datasheet details plays a very crucial role.

Anyways i will generate new topic for the same and let’s hope that we can get some details on it.