Swiflash failed on restoring FX30

Hi,

i tried to restore the firmware of a FX30. The swiflash tool fails every time with Firmware Download Failed.
See the log:

**swiflash -m fx30_wp85 -i ./mcu-rmfw-boot-yocto-legato_wp85.cwe **
Detecting USB of the target
DONE
Communicating with the target
.DONE
Downloading the firmware
…ERROR: Firmware Download failed. Callback status 59399ERROR: Firmware Download Failed
DONE

Just restoring fails too:

swiflash -m fx30_wp85 -r
DONE
.DONE
Downloading the firmware
…ERROR: Firmware Download failed. Callback status 59399ERROR: Firmware Download Failed
DONE

What does the callback status 59399 mean ? What i am doing wrong ?

Saleh

Did you find a soultion to this? Having similar issues on our WP7607-1 modules.
What swiflash version are you using? (swiflash -h)

Looks like swiflash latest from the link below was v5.1 but is now v4.6 again!?
wget https://downloads.sierrawireless.com/tools/swiflash/swiflash_latest.deb -O /tmp/swiflash_latest.deb

Hello,
up to now i dont have a solution.

SwiFlash version is 5.1

Hi,
Where did you get “mcu-rmfw-boot-yocto-legato_wp85.cwe” file?
The “Callback status 59399ERROR” returns when the image is too big.
Please check your generated image .cwe file (sometimes because of duplicated files)
The image size is belonged to flash memory. Normally, the legato.cwe ~ 5M, the mcu-rmfw-boot-yocto-legato_wp85.cwe ~ 60M
If you don’t add any application, you can get image as below: https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airlink/software_downloads/fx30-firmware/fx30-firmware/#sthash.ortUBMZw.xR8pYVhe.dpbs
Thanks,

Hello jerdung,

thank you for your answer. The cwe file is the original file from sierrawireless. It is 56955177 bytes long (~55MByte). I just try to reset the FX30 into “out of the box” state.

Hi,
What is Serial Number of your FX30?
Please refer in Firmware release note:
Example for FW release 14: “This release is not compatible with FX30 early samples with serial numbers starting with LLxxx and xxx < 629”.
If your device’s SN <629, you can not upgrade this FW

Thanks,

Hi,

my 2 FX30 have both S/N LL92130…

Why fails swiflash just on reset ? See listing 2 in first message of the thread.

Hi,
Please send “AT!BOOTHOLD” command on ttyUSB2 port, wait module to boot mode, send command “swiflash -m fx30_wp85 -r”.
If it is not successfull, downgrade device to Release 13 and repeat above steps.
I had this issue before, and I tried this way some times and now it does not happen anymore.

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# swiflash -m fx30_wp85 -r
DONE
DONE
Switching to firmware download mode
…DONE
DONE
Rebooting the module
.Downloading the firmware
…DONE
Firmware Download SUCCESS

Thanks,

Hi jerdung,

Please send “AT!BOOTHOLD” command on ttyUSB2 port,

The AT command port (and the nmea port) is not available. That is the reason, i try to restore the device.
The CM port is available (as ttyUSB0).

swiflash creates a file int /etc/udev/rules.d
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 2 18:56 99-sierra.rules

Do you know the role of this file.

On one test today i got a new error:

saleh@devfx30:~$ swiflash -m fx30_wp85 -r
DONE
ERROR: Firmware Download failed. Callback status 59399Firmware Download Failed
Failure Code: 57348

I’m clueless

Could you help to try to press “Reset” button over 10s.? Can device boot correctly after reseting?

And you can try to remove Modem Manager service and restart udev service and then swiflash again.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi Saleh,
Please try:
swiflash -m WP85XX -i

If this doesn’t work, try fdt2 tool using windows.

I don’t recommend using swiflash with the -r option on the FX30.

BR,
Chris

Hi,

Reset button is working.

I deinstalled the modemmanager. The error disappeared and swiflash runs now a little bit better:

**saleh@devfx30:~/Downloads$ swiflash -m “fx30_wp85” -i ./mcu-rmfw-boot-yocto-legato_wp85.cwe **
DONE
.DONE
Downloading the firmware
…DONE
Rebooting the module
…DONE
Rebooting the module
…^Csaleh@devfx30:~/Downloads$

The program will not finish- i have to kill it with ctrl+C.

I tried fdt2 too with the same result. AT command and NMEA port are not available.

It is worth noting that after the first “rebooting” the missing ports are visible in the device manager.

Hi,
Sometimes, I got this issue, and I tried press reset button about 10s . I stopped modemmanager on host PC and re-updated fw again. And it worked.
If module is still in rebooting … You can press Ctrl+C and then swiflash … again.
Try some times, it can be successfull.

Thanks,

Hi,

tried all several times - no success.

Hi Saleh,
What is your host OS version?
And could you help to provide this log “tail -f /var/log/syslog”?
What is the current firmware of your device (after pressing Reset button)?

Thanks,

Hi

Host:
saleh@devfx30:~/Downloads$ uname -a
Linux devfx30 4.19.0-6-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u1 (2019-09-20) i686 GNU/Linux

It is a virtual machine.
How can i check the device without connection ? :wink:

Hi,
Because you said that Reset button is working, so please press reset button over 10s.
If reset button is working, you can restore device. And the check FW or, send command AT!BOOTHOLD

Thanks,

Hi jerdung,

i can’t send an AT command without AT command port. If i reset the modem th e DM port disappears and comes back some seconds later - thats the reason i say : the reset button is working.

Thanks,

Hi,
Have your ever try with real machine, not virtual machine?
I met this issue before, but I tried to press reset button about 20s and after module is reset, the issue is gone.
I didn’t use virtual machine.

Thanks,

1 Like