Sending data to a TCP server via a browser

Hi

I am trying to send data to a TCP server created in OpenAT, using wip_TCPServerCreate, via a browser. Basically I want to know if it is possible to fire the WIP_CEV_READ event in the wip_TCPServerCreate event handler (the event handler for client TCP sockets) using HTML code.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Ralph

You cant fire the event, the event just pop when a packet arrives and you must do a wip_read to know what to do.

Using a browser really doesn’t sound like a sensible approach for this point in your development?!

A browser will expect your application to speak proper HTTP, and to serve-up proper web pages over it - but it doesn’t sound like you’re even got a basic TCP socket going yet?!
This sounds very much like you are trying to run before even thinking about crawling!

I think you would be far better off with some simple socket-level tester - like this: simplecomtools.com/ProductCa … category=5

Thank you for your replies.

I have a working TCP server socket. I coded it in OpenAT with some help from the TCP server sample. I have a dynamic public IP address given to me by my service provider and I use DynDNS to map the IP address to a fixed domain name. When clients connect via a browser using the fixed domain name, I send an HTML coded web page to the client.

What I want to achieve is a form/button submission on the web page which sends data back to the TCP server.

Ralph

Hiya,

Can you do this with standard HTML and a normal web browser (i.e. apache)?

You are going to have to write your own ‘webserver’ from the ground up to run on the Wavecom module. Wavecom don’t have anything approaching a httpd server, and certainly no scribpting languages… You may be better looking at using Lua if you are not happy with having to code your own webserver.

In any event, I strongly recommend that you read HTTP made really easy to get an understanding of what’s involved in writing a web server…

ciao, Dave

Thanks Dave, I’m investigating the possibilities of a LUA web server.

Let me also just add that when I say I want to send “data” to the TCP server, I actually mean that just a single character would suffice.

Thanks!