FX30 LTEM (WP7702): How to change Octave version to Legato version?

A customer purchased Octave version of FX30 LTEM (WP7702) and wanting to change it to the Legato version by updating the FW. Here are several questions.

1. Is it possible to update the Octave version to Legato version?
    2A) If yes, how to do that?
    2B) If no, why it cannot be?

Regards,
Aki Awata

Hi @aawata,

The Octave applications were written and validated with the specific version of the Legato framework. Updating to a different version could cause instability or other bugs, so I don’t recommend changing the Legato framework version. Is there a reason why this is needed?

In addition, some fixes may have been applied to the Legato framework version that is shipped with Octave, so the base framework version available from legato.io may differ. ie, If you have Legato 18.10.5 on an Octave FX30, this framework will include additional fixes not present in the 18.10.5 package on legato.io

BR,
Chris

@aawata

So yes you can change the unit from an Octave to a standard Legato one by loading the standard firmware as the hardware remains the same along with all of the interfaces. Points to note about doing this.

• Obviously Octave is not going to function on it.
  • You won’t be able to move it back to being Octave unit.
  • You may have issues registering it as a normal device on AV to make use of FOTA/device management as the unit is already known to the server as an Octave unit and you will not be able to move/change its status.

Regards

Matt

Hi @cchenry,

thanks for your answers, the reason why the customer change it is they purchased the sample Octave unit with assuming it can be switched to the Legato unit.

They’re now in PoC phase so willing to switch to Legato even with taking some risks which you pointed out. If any safest recommended FW is somewhere, please let me know.

Regards,
Aki

Hi @mlw,
thanks for your answers, there is no need to switch it back to Octave since it’s a PoC with some samples now. We’ll try switching by flushing the standard firmware.
Regards,
Aki

Dear all,
Tried to update FX30 normal FW on Octave unit. Unfortunatelly it was not sccessful. Image is not in FW slot, and could not attach on the network. Log file is attached.
Is there anything I can try more? Could you please advise how to do procedure? It’s not nessessary to unlock the module?FX30 Octave FW update.txt (7.5 KB)
Best Regards, Motoki

Hi Motoki,
Looks like the FX30 has updated correctly. You’ve set the radio to Automatic, so it make take some time to attach and register on the network because it will scan the CatM1 and NB-IOT bands.

If you disable NB-IOT, it will register much faster.

BR,
Chris

Dear Chris,
Thank you very much for your comments. Unfortunatelly it didn’t help. Even if select band B1&B19 only, and change CatM1 only, still could not connect.
In the log file, can seee “Active FW image is at slot 255” message, it’s unusual. It doesn’t matter?
If possible, I’d like to know how to fwupdate completely. I doubt FW update was failed.
Best Regards,
Motoki

Hi Motoki,
Could you please clarify:

1. When you say “could not connect” do you mean the radio could not register on the network? Or, could not establish a data session?
  2. Could you confirm you SIM is active with the proper LTE technologies?
  3. Could you confirm your APN is correct for your SIM?

Let’s try an FX30 factory reset. Power off your device. Press and hold the reset button, apply power while holding the button for another 10-12 seconds.

If you ssh to 192.168.2.2 and you’re prompted to create a new password, you know the factory reset has occurred properly.

Regarding the firmware update, could you please try fdt2 using a Windows machine to install the full image, if the factory reset doesn’t work?

BR,
Chris

Dear Chris,
Thank you very much your comments again !!
Let me clarify your questions.

1. I meant “the radio could not register on the network”
  2. YES. Setting was correct.
  3. This time use another DOCOMO SIM, it uses well known APN “mopera”. Unfortunately the result is the same. The radio could not register on the network.

Tried FW update again using fdt2 utility.
Captured all my procedure in the attachement “20201106 log.txt”.
Could you please check I was something wrong?

Best Regards,
Motoki
20201106 log.txt (11.1 KB)

Hi Motoki,
I’m unsure why the radio image is in slot 255. @rkirk, do you have any idea why? Is it possible that Generic GCF is not the correct image to use for Docomo?

Also, when you use fdt2, could you please try without specifying the 9x30 option? I’m not sure if this makes a difference, but it’s not the correct type. You can just use the -f option only.

How long did you wait for the device to register? The signal strength looks ok.

I hope @rkirk will have some suggestions.

BR,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes, it’s really wondering why image is in slot 255.

1. Tried FDT2 -f option only, but it’s still the same. I can’t see the difference.
  2. As you can see in the log file, wait about 10min for the device to register. But could not register on the network.
    Best Regards,
    Motoki