Sierra Wireless Modules vs 3G USB Dongles

I am currently looking at the 3G modules. Particularly for ones that are compatible with Nigerian telcos. For example the HL8518. I am designing a solution that requires a cellular connection. I was just wondering if anyone could inform me of the differences between the modules at sierra wireless and 3G USB dongles you can buy online. The HL8528 is priced at ~$40-50 dollars but 3G Huawei USB dongles are priced at $5-15 dollars. I am trying to justify the price difference between the two options. Any insights into the differences and similarities would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brad

Hello,

Please contact your sierra wireless Distributor to provide you the solution.

Thanks & Regards,

How many are you going to build? Will a retailer be able to supply that quantity?

Apart from the quantity, will a retailer be able to offer you any support?

will a retailer be able to guarantee what firmware or even chipset is in the dongle?

do you have a USB Host in your design? Will you be able to get drivers? Does the dongle rely upon the host for some of its functionality?

will a retailer be able to answer these questions?

does the dongle meet your requirements for operating temperature? voltage? power draw? vibration? can you even get specifications for these?

etc, etc, …

Well sure. The Sierra Wireless Modules are USB too.

Other interfaces are also available

The world’s #1 cellular module vendor provides simple, scalable, and secure ways to add wireless to any IoT or M2M system with 4G LTE, 3G and 2G solutions.

Thanks for sharing I was also facing that problem…

hi

I think you have to contact company customer care.