List of android device working with BC118

Hi there

I bought a couple of BC118. If I have no problem pairing with an iOS device, I’m in trouble with Android devices.
I tried to pair with a OneplusOne but I cannot see it among available Bluetooth device and to a Nexus 7. With Nexus 7 is a bit more difficult cause even if the chipset is BLE 4.0 Google never certified it as such. We are working on it.
My question is, there is a list of Android devices that for sure have no problem connecting to the BC118?

Thank you

Ro

Hi,

No there is not but with BLE devices you do not pair directly with it you need to use an app. If you download the Melody smart app from the play store, open it and hit referesh then you should see it.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt
thank you for your reply. However, I know about the Melody Smart App. It doesn’t work on my Android devices. With OnePlusOne I receive an error of communication. The Nexus 7 doesn’t find any BLE device.

Ok for that I cannot help as I do not have a Nexus 7, sorry.

Regards

Matt

Hi,
I need to connect to a bluetooth terminal application for any Android. Does the BC118 module only connect to your melody smart app?

Regards

Ana

@sistemas,

I would not recommend using the BC118 for a new design the product is still in production so fine for existing designs but I would think that given its age its day are numbered with limited support for both unit operation and firmware updates (i.e. none).

With regards to connecting to Andriod via BLE, you need to connect via profile of some description, we have pre defined our smart profile and given the code to allow customers to develop an app using this profile so it reduces the workload. If you don’t use this then you need todefine your own profile which can get complicated.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt.
I understand what you say.
But what is the smart profile and where can I get it?

Regards

Matt which model would you recommend for a new design?

Regards

Ana

@sistemas,

The source code for the Android Melody smart app is held at the link below, it should show you everything you need to use in you app.

https://bitbucket.org/bluecreation/melodysmart-android/src/develop/

Regards

Matt

Matt which model would you recommend for a new design?

Regards

Ana

@sistemas,

Unfortunately we do not have a BLE only device any more but the BXis a pretty good choice depending on what you want to do. It also gives you other options given it also have BT classic and WiFi (which can be turned off as required).

Regards

Matt

I cannot get the Melody Smart app to work correctly with the BC118 when trying to upgrade the firmware on the chip. Trying to go from melody smart v3.4 to 3.5 . Both the Android and iOs versions of the MS app find the chip, but the Android gives an error regarding a “null object reference” and the iOs app lets me select the option to upgrade the firmware, but then just hangs and never returns the available firmware versions to pick from. Seems to be an issue with the app or the Sierra Wireless servers. Anyone have similar issue and know how to fix?