WP Series as USB Modem

Hi,
I want to use WP7502 as a modem directly on linux and control it using native linux commands. Is it possible? Are there any drivers released?
I am seeing only QMI based drivers that are communicating with WPxx to control the linux firmware image running on WP.

Any pointer would be helpful.

Hi,

You can use it as per the MC’s, the attached explains how to do it.

If you are going to make the leap to QMI the below might be of interest as well.

https://source.sierrawireless.com/~/media/support_downloads/airprime/application_notes_and_code_examples/airprime%20-%20multiple%20pdn%20support%20on%20newer%20sierra%20wireless%20modules%20-%202174187%20-%20rev1.0.ashx

Regards

Mat
SWI Technical Note - Migration from DirectIP to RMNet on MC73xx Rev002.docx (347 KB)

Hi thanks for the link. I am using Mangos Red board. For some unknown reason, AT commands over serial console is working for few seconds then the console stalls. Is it because of yocto/legato distribution taking modem’s control after boot?

According to the pdf, it requires modifying WP’s config via AT interface. Is there any other way to do the same?

So there are two UARTS on the WP, one coming out of the USB port which the console then takes over (this is UART 2) and UART 1 which comes out of the raspberry pi header, this one has AT command permanently assigned to it although there is also an AT command end point on the USB power connector on the underside of the board which you should be able to use as well so which one are you saying is being taken over?

Regards

Matt

The one over USB, UART2.
I have tried connecting AT using minicom on linux and putty over windows. I tried both 9600 and 11500 baud rate. I get see some AT messages. But the console session hangs most of the time even before I finish writing the complete AT command syntax. :unamused:
I was guessing that AT messages coming on screen are generated by ligato/yocto, so wanted to disable it.

Hi,

So just to be clear the two ports that you can see plugged into the photo I have just attached (so AT commands over USB end point and through UART1), with the WP in its default mode, are all able have AT commands run on them without Legato taking over. The USB port that is not plugged in has the Linux terminal running over it.

Regards

Matt

Hi
Thanks a lot for responding. I am using similar configuration. I saw that in legato there were some running apps namely, ATClient and ATServer, which I disabled. So far AT console is running fine.

I was following the document to configure multiple PDNs with following set of commands:
at!entercnd=“A710”
at!usbcomp?
at!netnum=4
at!reset

So far, the method call to at!netnum is not executing. Additionally, there is no API reference for !netnum in AT commands guide.
I was wondering if its a hardware dependent method call (ideally i should not be) as we have WP7502 or deprecated function.

TIA
–N

N,

Netnum is a new parameter, if you want to use multiple PDN’s on this device then I guess you are aware of the below apps note?

https://source.sierrawireless.com/~/media/support_downloads/airprime/application_notes_and_code_examples/airprime%20-%20multiple%20pdn%20support%20on%20newer%20sierra%20wireless%20modules%20-%202174187%20-%20rev1.0.ashx

Re legato API I suspect there is no equivalent to the AT command yet as it is so new. If you want to push this with the legato team I suggest you put a posting on the legato forums.

http://forum.legato.io/

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt,
I was following the same document. So far, I am using WP only as a modem. Currently it is running the publicly available R15 firmware. Netnum is not implemented in it yet, I guess, which is creating the confusion.
TIA
–N

N,

Yes it is slowly being implemented on each of the newer modems i.e. it is not yet in an official release for the EM7565 yet either and that is one of the latest greatest. You are just going to need to use it as per my initial document and wait for an official release with the multi PDN capability.

Regards

Matt

Hi
Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on future firmware releases.
Regards
–N

Greetings much obliged for the connection. I am utilizing Mangos Red board. For some obscure reason, AT summons over serial reassure is laboring for few moments then the comfort slows down. Is it due to yocto/legato circulation taking modem’s control after boot?

Essaybox,

Sorry not sure I understand what you are saying.

Is it that you are trying to follow the aps note above and that the commands initially come bac with responses quickly but then start to slow down? Or is it just a general statement that you are using mangOH red and that AT commands work well initially but then the responses slow down? If it is the later then you need to start a new thread.

Regards

Matt