Compiler CXXFLAGS on a Legato App

Hi,

I am trying to build a very simple app using c++.
My app is as follow:

testcpp
├── testComponent
│ ├── Component.cdef
│ ├── myclass.cpp
│ ├── myclass.h
│ └── test.cpp
├── testcpp.adef

This app build as long as I don’t need a particular cxxflag.

However if I add #include in myclass.h and the following in Component.cdef as explain in http://www.legato.io/legato-docs/15_05/def_files_cdef.html#defFilesCdef_cxxFlags :
cxxflags:
{
-std=c++11
}

My app doesn’t build anymore and print:
c++0x_warning.h:32:2: error: #error This file requires compiler and library support for the ISO C++ 2011 standard. This support is currently experimental, and must be enabled with the -std=c++11 or -std=gnu++11 compiler options.

It prints the same error if I add the cxxflags or if I remove it. It seems that the cxxflags is ignored because -std=c++11 doesn’t appear during the build.

For debugging purpose I added this flag :
cflags:
{
-std=c++11
}
And this time I could see that my flag appeared during the build but as expected I had the following error:
error: command line option ‘-std=c++11’ is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C [-Werror]

What am I doing wrong ?

Best reagards,

Hiya,

Try removing the ‘-’ from in front of the std= line in your cdef file.

Ciao, Dave

Nothing changed, I still have the same error.

Another idea ?

Hiya,

I can confirm the same happens here for me - both using Dev Studio and on the command line.

Let me ask some questions…

ciao, Dave

Hiya,

You’ve found a feature!

I’ve asked some questions and I’ve had it confirmed that the cxxflags stanza in the cdef file is not being processed correctly. A bug has been logged about this - and knowing the Legato team it will probably be fixed reasonably promptly (They’re good like that!).

There is a workaround though. If you’re using DS to do your development, you can edit the Application Project (the project with the adef file) Properties to add your desired cxx flags.

1. Right click on the app project and select properties
  2. in the right hand pane, expand C/C++ Build and select Settings
  3. In the left hand pane you’ll see some tabs - the first (Tool Settings) should be open
  4. Select the mkapp tool, and edit the command to add --cxxflags="-std=c++11" after the command mkapp
  5. Click OK, and rebuild your Application (NOT just the Component)

I’ve tested this and confirms that it works with the include file you referenced above.

I’ve inserted an image with my modifications in case my description is a bit vague…

If you’re doing it from the command line, edit your makefile so that your mkapp line looks like so:

mkapp  --cxxflags="-std=c++11" <myapp>.adef -t wp85

Hope this gets you going…

ciao, Dave

p.s. a big thanks to kmurphy for working through this with me.

Nothing more to add on DS part, except that in future DS 3.5, there will be an additional widget in C Build Options to manage flags for C++ compiler

Thanks for the help, It worked :slight_smile: