RV50 and Verizon

Disclaimer: I’m new to this and feel like I am missing something very basic…any help is appreciated.

I have an RV50 with a Verizon SIM and am trying to get my laptop (as a proof point) connected to the internet via the RV50, so far I have had no luck. I have tried with the default configuration, enabling IP passthrough, opening up everything on the VPN, and enabling the DMZ. The LEDs on the RV50 show that I have a good cellular connection and on the ethernet side, I can see changes that I am making trickle down to my laptop (new IP addresses).

In the end, I will be connected an embedded Linux box to the modem and have it talk to a server in the public cloud (AWS).

Thanks for any troubleshooting tips.

Hi there,

Is this a new device you are configuring? Generally, the laptop should be able to connect to the internet when the device is at its default settings and nothing has been configured.
Are you able to ping 8.8.8.8 from the device? (Admin > Advanced > Ping). If so, what do you have for your ethernet settings under the WAN and LAN tabs?
Alternatively, resetting the device to its default settings through the Admin > Advanced > Reset to Factory Default may be easier and faster if you have not configured the device yet.

Thanks,
Gtsang

Hey Gtsang -

Yes, this is a new device. I did the ‘reset to factory default’ and still am not able to ping 8.8.8.8. One thing that I noticed is that the Signal LED will go green and then it looks like every few minutes, it will go red and then within a minute, back to green. I have tried to issue the ping when the Signal LED is green, but it seems like it always goes red after pushing the “ping” button. I have tried multiple locations (office desk, campus courtyard, top of parking garage…all places where cell service is readily available) to see if that changes the signal strength behavior, but no luck. I have attached the default log that I found. If you search for “New Link Status - Network Link Down”, you’ll see that it occurs every few minutes. I’m guessing that this is not normal. I have ordered another antenna to test with, but otherwise am quickly running out of ideas.

Thanks,
jarnold33
filteredlogs.txt (353 KB)

Hi jarnold33,

You’re definitely running into some connectivity issues. The attached log file shows that you’re able to get an IP from the carrier, but the link is quickly dropped afterwards. We refer to this as “bouncing”:

Aug 15 13:34:51 notice ALEOS_CONNECTMGMT: *** IP UP 172.27.0.55 : wwan0
Aug 15 13:34:53 notice ALEOS_LINKMGMT_linkmon: New Link Status - Network Ready
Aug 15 13:34:53 warning ALEOS_SERIAL_HMC: not in tcp mode current mode 0
Aug 15 13:37:18 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: Service is not available
Aug 15 13:37:18 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetRFInfoCB - service type was 1X is now EV-DO Rev.A
Aug 15 13:37:18 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetRFInfoCB - Radio interface: [2] - [CDMA_1xEVDO] Active Band Class: [1] Active Channel: [25]
Aug 15 13:37:19 notice ALEOS_LINKMGMT_linkmon: Radio Connection State - No Service
Aug 15 13:37:19 notice ALEOS_LINKMGMT_linkmon: New Link Status - No Service
Aug 15 13:37:19 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: Service is available
Aug 15 13:37:19 notice ALEOS_LINKMGMT_linkmon: Radio Connection State - Connected
Aug 15 13:37:19 notice ALEOS_LINKMGMT_linkmon: New Link Status - Network Link Down
Aug 15 13:37:20 alert ALEOS_CONNECTMGMT: IPV4 Disconnect Handled
Aug 15 13:37:20 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetRFInfoCB - service type was EV-DO Rev.A is now 1X
Aug 15 13:37:20 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetRFInfoCB - Radio interface: [1] - [CDMA_1xRTT] Active Band Class: [1] Active Channel: [75]
Aug 15 13:37:20 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetRFInfoCB - service type was 1X is now EV-DO Rev.A
Aug 15 13:37:20 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetRFInfoCB - Radio interface: [2] - [CDMA_1xEVDO] Active Band Class: [1] Active Channel: [25]
Aug 15 13:37:23 notice ALEOS_SECURITY_firewallManager: Firewall completed restart after 3573 ms
Aug 15 13:37:25 notice ALEOS_CONNECTMGMT: *** Network Connection successful. WAN IP [Cellular] : 172.27.0.55
Aug 15 13:37:29 notice ALEOS_SECURITY_firewallManager: Firewall completed restart after 3498 ms
Aug 15 13:37:29 notice ALEOS_CONNECTMGMT: *** IP UP 172.27.0.55 : wwan0
Aug 15 13:37:32 notice ALEOS_LINKMGMT_linkmon: New Link Status - Network Ready

What’s interesting is that you’re presented with the same error code:
Aug 15 15:52:59 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkPacketSrvStatus - v4SessionID: 1137882400 v6SessionID: 0 state: 1 (DISCONNECTED) reconfig not required
Aug 15 15:52:59 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkPacketSrvStatus - ipfamily: 4, call end reason: 2, verbose call end type: 3, verbose call end code: 2000

Verbose code 2000 means that the client is terminating the connection. I would suggest using a known good SIM card. It appears you’re running into a SIM account issue with your carrier which they can only sort out.

Just to be clear there is nothing wrong with your RV50 :slight_smile:

Regards,
Nick