Unsolicited serial data to IP address and port

Hello,
I have researched the ALEOS forum as well as the GX440 forum and tried for days to figure out how to do this. Please help. I’m sure your device can do it but I can’t figure out the correct way.

Facts:

1. Have Sierra Wireless GX440 cell modem – works great
  2. Have a Fisher Floboss flow computer connected to the serial port of the GX440.

Background:
I can request data and get data back from the Floboss device with no problem. That works correctly and reliably. The Fisher Floboss device has the ability to send out data from the device if a value gets out of range. Thus, what I require is the ability to route ‘unsolicited’ serial data from the Floboss through the modem back to an IP address and port; and to still be able to request data from the SCADA host.

I have done this many times with other devices such as Lantronix.

Is this possible. If so; how?

Thank you for your support.

Best Regards,

Steve
CPU LLC

I am not sure I understand what information you are looking for.
Is it about using a socket ? If yes you can have a look to the socket API (in AAF documentation). You can use socket.connect(IP, port) and then s:send(data) to send some data.

Is it about reading data on the serial port ? I understand you already used AAF to send/receive data through the serial port. A proper answer would require to know a bit more on the serial protocol. However if what you need is to receive unsolicited data on the serial, you could have a thread doing a blocking read on the serial port, and once the read call return, then do something to process this unsolicited data. But you have to be careful if you have two task reading on the serial port (because you cannot predict which will be reading what). Have a look to our Lua AT/serial interface it handles both regular AT command and unsolicited messages. (there is one clone here, not SWI supported but the code was cloned from Mihini: github.com/nim65s/mihini-repo/b … ial/at.lua)
Could you refine what exactly is your blocking point?

OK. Let me try to be a bit more clear.

Facts:

1. I have a GX440 cell modem. works well in AT mode.
  2. I have a serial device that is behind the modem.
  3. The GX440 is configured to use AT mode.
  4. From software on the internet, I can request data through the TCP/IP connection and the serial device will respond. All of that works great.
  5. What I also need to do is have the serial device be able to send out a callout to my server. In other words, the device sends a serial message without it having been requested. So I need the GX440, when it sees an unsolicited message from the serial side, to package that message up in a TCP message and send it to an TCP/IP address and port number.
  6. I can configure the IP address and port on the Serial tab of the ACEManager interface, however, the modem doesn’t use that if it is in AT mode and there does not seem to be a way to configure it to handle both request/responses and be able to send serial messages to an IP address at the same time.
  7. What I need is a way to configure, preferably through ACEManager, a way to do both as described in #6 above.

I hope that clears up the question. No one seems to be able to answer this and it seems like a normal thing if you ask me. It is very easy to do in TCP port servers such as Lantronix devices.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

All,
Can someone please help me with this? Sierra wireless support is the worst! I’ve gotten no help from directly e-mailing support nor posting this issue on the GX Series forum or this one.

Any assistance is welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry about the delays. I had missed the last notification on this thread as it seems.
I also miss understood your initial request. This forum section is about AAF content. Your request seems more related to an ACEmanager question.
AAF is a development framework enabling to extend the capabilities of the devices to program your own logic. It might satisfy your current requirement but you would need to develop an application.
You can find AAF Getting Started tutorials in the the source (source.sierrawireless.com). There is a sample application demo-ing the use of the serial port.

If you want to really stay with ACEmanager configuration, I would recommend to contact your local Sierra representative directly, in order to get proper support.