SSL Error 5

We use Fastrack FXT009. We want to send emails with use of SSL connection.

1. Is it neccessary to enable SSL features with AT+WCFM?
  2. When we query AT+WCFM=5 answer is +WCFM: 000007F1,0. What does this mean?
  3. We want to send mails. So we are a client in the sense of SMTP. In wip_SSLInitOpts() there is the parameter WIP_COPT_CERT_AUTHORITY. In the comments it is called “ca certificate”. What sort of certificate is behind this parameter? Where does one get such a certificate?
    Also there is the parameter WIP_COPT_CERT. In the comments it is called “client certificate”. What sort of certificate is behind this parameter? Where does one get such a certificate?
  4. After wip_SSLInitOpts() and wip_SSLClientCreate() the used handler is called back with error 5. What does that mean?
  5. Is there any list for the errors of wip_SSLClientCreate()? In the documentation (SSL_UGD.pdf) there seams to be no error codes for nearly all SSL-related functions.
  6. Does anyone have a functional, generally valid example for using SMTP with SSL (i.e. send a mail) and wants to share it with the community? POP3 would be great, too!

Hi,

I dont have the examples for SMTP and POP… but regarding few of your questions :

what i know is that these certificates and keys are stored as string format… for example… u can see in the sdk sample applications wipssl_client… it is defined in the keys folder… in that sample…

regarding the error… yeah it’s strange… its not mentioned anywhere/… i’ll check this internally… but what are you trying to do… the complete process is mentioned int he SSL_UGD guide on how to initialize and use SSL…

For getting the certifictes… not much idea… but from the server admin… which ever server you are connecting to… i think browser do have some certificates… i need to double check on this…

AT+WCFM=5 will give some obsolete modes… written in guide… the returned value should not be taken into account…

Thanks for answer.

In other posts there is mentioned that the SSL library probably has to be enabled as “commercial feature” by means of a password provided by a distributer. What about that?

We found, that the format of the key has to be a text string in base64. So far we have found an answer to our third question. Some hints to this fact would be nice to read in the manual. You wrote “the complete process is mentioned int he SSL_UGD guide on how to initialize and use SSL.” If it so where it would be nice, but the description of this process is in the most - poor.

Important for us to know is really the meaning of the error. Probably this would help us a lot!

Your hints concerning AT+WCFM=5 are somehow cryptic. Obsolete modes? Written in guide? What do You want to say with that?

Another question that we have is, whether Sierra Wireless has functions for OpenAT to encrypt files. Encryption functions must be invoked in the SSL library since with SSL one has to encrypt data anyhow. We think of PGP, i.e. OpenPGP or GnuPG. We think that in future there may be a great need for such functions, think of Snowden…

Hi…

I’ll create a documentation tracker with R&D to clarify the meaning. But, what i got is that this error comes if the clock is not set properly or the CA certificate is wrong…

Did you try with the ssl sample… just initializing using ssl_initopts and creating a ssl client using ssl_clientcreateopts…
which server are you trying to connect to?

make sure the CA certificate is correct.

also at+cclk should be synchronised…

this can be useful i guess…

http://developer.sierrawireless.com/Resources/Resources/AirPrime/Application_Notes_and_Code_Samples/AirPrime_-SMTP_over_SSL-_Application_Note.aspx

hi,
I have raised a documentation tracker for this.

WCFM return value indicates…
7 (0111) -> Application Watchdog, Raw Spectrum Information, crypto are activated
F (1111) -> SSL, C-GPS, OpenSIMAccess, RTOS are activated
1 (0001) -> Internet plug-in activated.

Regards,
rex

Hello TEKNB,

did you solved the problem to use a SMTP server or POP3 server with SSL connection?
I’ve got now the same prolem, that the SSL connection returns error code 5 after calling ‘wip_SSLClientCreate’.

Regards,
Mandy

We didn’t solve the problem yet. We are awaiting a solution from Sierra Wireless…