Suggestion for which Sierra Wireless Modem to use

Hello,

I am new to Sierra Wireless product portfolio and need your help.
I have an application where I need to use a 2G GSM modem to transmit incoming sensor data to a server.
The sierra wireless modem will be interfaced with an arm based processor running Linux.

My requirements for the modem are

• Should have linux drivers (I read about direct IP mode and qmi drivers)
  • Should be relatively cheap
  • shouldn’t consume too much power hence work on 2G mode

I would be most happy if you can suggest me which devices I can use

thanks a lot for your help and time
rifo

ps: I also read about the WP series where the processor and the modem are combined. This would also be acceptable for me but I am afraid, the pricing may be very high? Can you please tell me the approximate pricing range for WP series too?

Hi,
If you are interested in cheaper modules, you can go ahead with HL series.

For more information, you can contsct Sierra wireless sales team : http://www.sierrawireless.com/how-to-buy/contact-sales/

-Alex

Hello,

Thank you for the answer. So the HL series support the direct IP drivers right?

Hi,

This could be a long answer but I will try to keep it as short as possible to narrow it down quickly.

First question is the form factor you want to use, if you want to go embedded (HL series) or are buying a standard PC board with a PCIe slot (MC series).

If you specifically want to use 2G and keep the cost down then the obvious choice is the HL6528 but if are going for the MC (as per above) then you have a couple of options. Either buy an actual MC which might be a bit expensive for you as we do not do a 2G version or go to one of our partners who make daughter boards which will accept a HL unit.

This really needs you to have a conversation with someone who knows the portfolio i.e. a distributor or Sierra account manager.

Regards

Matt

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. It will be fine to go with HL6528 but can you please confirm that HL6528 support direct IP drivers?

thanks
rifo

Rifo,

DirectIP was something that was supported in Sierra Wireless MC’s a long time ago, we only have a couple of products left that support this now. All 2G units ever made have only ever supported a single CDC-ACM USB end point which can be used for AT commands (and a PPP dial up session).

Regards

Matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks a lot for your reply.