It's 2017, we really still using AT Commands? Over Serial?

So lets say you want to send a text message. You log into the serial port using screen and start issuing AT commands

root# screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

AT+CMGF=1
AT+CMGS="4805557777"
>Awesome Text Message Here <Ctrl-Z>
( waiting... waiting...  OK, here is the response)
+CMGS: 198
OK

Great, you just sent a SMS. Now lets look at our device capabilities “WP7502 module” with an upload of 50Mb and download of 100Mb. Soooo you connected to your device at a rate of 115,200bps and are supposed to be able to send things at a rate of 50Mb?

Now presumably you could send things faster using AT+CMMS to keep a connection active, but still you are severely limited by the serial bus speed.

Can’t we send full JSON packets with the destination, text, configuration options or something to a digital input or something like this?

{
    "destination":"4805557777",
    "type":"sms"
    "data":"Even More Awesome Text Message Here"
}

Then you could even group them into arrays that could be batched by the CMMS.

I guess I am just trying to imagine how AT&T / Verizon send out their SMS to the destination after you have sent it to them. Are they really using some python library connecting over serial to send out all their customers SMS to the destination?

Serial makes me feel like a marriage counselor with a couple that refuses to talk to each other (stackoverflow.com/questions/470 … -scripting). I can easily script something to echo to the port, but then I don’t get a response, unless I cat the results, or use another library like TCL/Expect.

This is my rant, it just feels like I am still in 1990 on a 14.4k modem the way things have been going.

Hi,

Can you try setting the soft flow control by using AT+IFC command.
If you still find an issue , this issue needs a detailed technical analysis. Please contact your Technical support in SWI to provide you the solution.

Thanks & Regards,
Rex

No - we don’t have to.

:smiley:

Qualcomm now has QMI - the Qualcomm MSM Interface: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Qua … _Interface

That is used by the call managers in operating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, et al.

See, for example, libqmi: freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/libqmi/

And the device will provide a “Network” interface to the host for data transfer.

And, in the specific case of SiWi WP devices, you get Legato - a Linux-based application framework with APIs to do all this stuff…

:smiley: