MC7455- Does not appear as a COM port

MC73, MC74, EM74, MC809x, MC9090

MC7455- Does not appear as a COM port

Postby nikitha » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi,

This is a basic problem that I am facing. When I connect the sierra wireless MC7455 module to a Linux machine.. it shows up as USB 2.0 (not as com port) and thus I am able to talk to it using AT command. However, when I plug it in a windows machine (win10), it shows up as a network adapter and also under USB. But can somebody pls explain why it does not come up as a com port?
nikitha

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: MC7455- Does not appear as a COM port

Postby mlw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 am

Nikita,

Can you send the following to the terminal with the unit plugged in?

Code: Select all
lsusb
ls /dev
lsmod
modinfo GobiSerial
modinfo GobiNet

It could be that the units USB composition has been changed to not bring up the com port, not sure how you would have managed to do this accidentally.

Regards

Matt
mlw

Have thanks: 56 times

Re: MC7455- Does not appear as a COM port

Postby jhicks_camgian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:52 pm

On Windows 10 I am able to determine the AT command port by referencing the "Modems" element in Windows Device Manager.

If you expand that entry, you should see a device named "Sierra Wireless WWAN Modem".

Click on that entry, select the "Modem" tab of the properties sheet and the first field at the top of that tab provides the modem com port.

Notably, that port is excluded from the "Ports (COM & LPT)" group in my device manager.

I should mention that I am using an MC7354 but I believe the interfaces to be the same for your modem.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks.
jhicks_camgian

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to MC Series + EM74