MC7455 is it possible to configure eSIM

Looking on seeing if i could possible configure eSIM or have a single sim card or change IDs . im not sure if we can.

my main goal is get a single SIM unit but be able to swap eSIM between 2-3 or even US wireless Carriers.

i sent a couple requests to AT&T / T-mobile but i havent heard back yet.

Hi,

What I think you are after is the new eUICC functionality that we have on our smart SIM which allows you to swap between profiles and change between operators. Unfortunately this requires the co operation of the operators as well of which lots of them have yet to submit, it is standardised in the GSMA now but it will take some time before they accept it and implement the relevant systems for it to become widespread.

Until then your best bet is a generic roaming SIM, again like we offer.

Regards

Matt

I’m looking at using the eUICC functionality on MC7455, is it available now?

Thanks,
Abiodun

@abiodun

The 74xx series is old now and the hardware design was finished a few years ago (it has not changed since it was originally released) meaning that no it is not available. It is only on newer products.

Regards

Matt

Hello. I am also interested in developing for RSP and eUICC. if the 74xx series is old, which one is relevant for eUICC profile handling?
Thanks,
Johann

@jlhour

I would recommend using the EM/MC74x1 series (7411, 7421, 7431) for any newer developments, these are based on the 9x50 and hence have far more modern baselines than the 7430/7455.

Regards

Matt

1 Like

Thanks. I see there is a list of carriers associated to the card. Does this mean that the profiles to be downloaded should be from specific carriers?

@jlhour

All of the units have carrier specific release/configurations, especially for the US where they (the carriers) require applications to be approved and subsequently use a build of firmware that is pre approved by us with them.

Regards

Matt

All right, sorry I am a beginner in this field (there must be an introduction for newbies somewhere but couldn’t find it).
I just noticed that the MC/EM devices are modems that provides connectivity, but do not hold the SIM card. The SIM has to be provided by some surrounding hardware, e.g. an USB-PCIe adapter.
In that case (RSP architecture), it would mean that I should get an eUICC on plastic card, right?

@jlhour

A SIM card of some description, be it a plastic SIM or a solder down one, it does not matter but yes the unit needs to interface to a SIM to work properly.

Regards

Matt

1 Like