MC7455/EM7455 USBCOMP

Hi.

I’ve MC7455 and EM7455 modules which currently installed on Windows Environment (Win 7/10) where currently working fine with latest USB drivers from Sierra Wireless. I make an AT comparison between both where results as below:

EM7455
+++++++
at!usbcomp?
Config Index : 1
Config Type : 1 (Generic)
Interface Bitmask: 0000100D (diag, nmea, modem, mbim)

MC7455
+++++++
at!usbcomp?
Config Index : 1
Config Type : 1 (Generic)
Interface Bitmask : 0000050D (diag, nmea, modem, rmnet0, rmnet1)

What the different between both and shall I change MC7455 “at!usbcomp” same as EM7455 ? Another question is shall MC7455 work on Windows Environment ? Because with current configuration on MC7455 it shows two (2) MC7455 network adapters whilst for EM7455 shown on one.

Regards,

Hi,

This is a complicated question so I will try to keep it as simple as possible.

First point to make i that the EM and Mc7455 are basically the same unit in a different form factor so both can be used on Windows or Linux.

The USBCOMP command is controlling the USB end points that the unit tries to enumerate to any host it connects to (be it Windows or Linux), the host will then use whatever drivers it has to work with those end points. Should you change the MC7455, if its working then there is no reason to. Is it?

Regards

Matt

Hi mlw,

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments. I have EM7455 and newly replacement MC7455 modules to be tested on LENOVO X220/X220T and DEL E7240 running Windows 7/10. I’m questioning because no issues on EM7455 on both notebooks, but got an issues with MC7455 where only show “qdloader port only” inside windows device manager. I received that new replacement MC7455 module because previous module also with the same result (qdloader port). Based on documentation (qdloder port) means that module was brought up at “boot and hold” and waiting for firmware to be flashed. I believe using current sierra firmware tools (fdt.exe) couldn’t pass through because could not eliminate modem status. At first place, this new replacement MC7455 working fine but right now back to not working again (qdloader port) after install on LENOVO X220. Any idea how to resolve or that MC7455 was bricked.

You can flash using Linux. I think the SDK allows for that, or the libqmi variant of it.

Hi,

Thanks for valuable information how to recover “boot and hold” on MC74XX/EM74XX through ubuntu linux with that qmi-firmware-update tools. But unfortunately this tools that was compiled from latest libqmi doesn’t has ‘d’ option for “VID:PID”. May I know which libqmi releases does has “d” options ?

Hello all,

Just to continue with my previous question regaording "qmi-firmware-updare’, where when checking through “man qmi-firmware-update” it does indicate about ‘d’ and ‘s’ options but does’t shown when checking via ‘qmi-firmware-update --help’. So weird for me why inside ‘man qmi-firmware-update’ it does mention about ‘lt-qmi-firmware-update’ whilst this file doesn’t exists. I’m very greatfull if someone could elaborate more about these all.

Hi,

I would like to confirm my problem was resolved by configure libqmi with “udev” enable. On ubuntu 16.04 (as example) we have to install “udev-1.0” required by this tool.

For Ubuntu 16.04, just install this PPA instead of compiling libqmi from scratch:
https://launchpad.net/~aleksander-m/+archive/ubuntu/modemmanager-xenial

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input. I’ve a problem for “qmi-firmware_update” for Ubuntu 14.04 where currently MC7455 already at “Boot and Hold” mode. Below are that syntaxes:
sudo qmi-firmware-update
-t /dev/ttyUSB0
–update-qdl
SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00.cwe
SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00_Generic_002.017_000.nvu

But return with below errors:
error: error creating device: HDLC trailing control character not found

Any thought from your end and much appreciated.

Generic comment is that I would not recommend using qmilib to update a unit, the existing QMI client Sierra make available can do it.

Regards

Matt