Rebrand EM7455 Lenovo to DELL

Hello,

I’m trying to get a EM77455 to work in my Dell Precision 7510 on Windows 10 64bit with no luck.
I tried the Sirra native drivers, Lenovo drivers as well as the dell drivers :frowning:
Is there any possibility to rebrand a EM7455 out of a Lenovo Notebook to make this work as a DELL DW5811E in a Precision7510?

Any help is appriciated
Thanks
Marco

1- Download driver from dell website.
2- Uncompress .exe (with 7zip).
3- enter to folder and edit Configuration.ini and set USBCOMP=8 (change 0 to 8 ).
4- execute .exe (It is in the same folder as the file Configuration.ini).
5- plug card em7455 and open Device administrator. You should see the DELL modem, open a find COM port.
6- Open AT Port (with Putty or other program) and excute this commands:
AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
AT!USBPID=9071,9070
AT!USBVID=1199
AT!USBPRODUCT=“EM7455”
AT!PRIID=“9904802”,“001.001”,“Generic-Laptop”
AT!RESET
7- Install Sierra Wireless drivers.
8- Done :smiley:

Credits: baodo.
Good Luck!

A related question.

Is it possible to convert a Dell or Lenovo card to a “standard” SW card running the SW generic firmware?

Yes, after performing this procedure you can upgrade firmware with Sierra Generic Firm.

Thanks.

But the VID and PID for the standard SW card are not the same as for the Lenovo and Dell, I presume…?

And, I don’t have a Dell, so not sure how the step of installing the Dell drivers comes into play.

Basically, if I have a Lenovo branded card (or a Dell branded card), (how) can it be changed to behave and act like an unbranded Sierra card?

Thanks again for any help or pointers.

But the VID and PID for the standard SW card are not the same as for the Lenovo and Dell, I presume…?
Correct. Generic SW EM7455 has PID=9071,9070. VID=1199

Assumed, you have a Lenovo card and want to change it to Generic Sierra WITHOUT a Lenovo laptop. Try the following steps:

!!!Use at your own risk!!!

Install the card and the Lenovo drivers. You will see 3 Devices (and a Location Sensor) in Windows Device Manager
 Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A WWAN Modem
 Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A DM Port (COM x)
 Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A NMEA Port (COM y)
All these 3 devices have a “under construction” symbol and are of course, not functional.
Install the generic, unspecific Sierra Wireless drivers (USB Drivers Build 4581) on top of the Lenovo Drivers (nothing will visibly happen)
Now you have to update the installed Lenovo drivers manually to generic drivers. Just start with the Modem (right mouse click → “Update driver software” → “Browse my computer for driver software” → “Let me pick from a list….” ||| now deselect the “Show compatible hardware” option and choose either “Sierra Wireless HSPA Modem” or “Sierra Wireless WWAN Modem” on the right side.
Repeat these steps for the DM Port (COM x) [Sierra Wireless DM Port] and NMEA Port (COM y) [Sierra Wireless NMEA Port].
Now, detect the AT Port with the program of your choice. You should find it now and use the necessary AT-commands to apply the change mentioned above.
If not, you can experiment a little bit with different “unspecific” device drivers from SW until you find the AT-Port.
The same procedure can be applied for a Dell card (DW5811e) with Dell drivers in Non-Dell environment.
Luckily, these new SW modules are very tough and it’s not easy to brick them :mrgreen:
Good luck

Bought a Lenovo Branded EM7455 and wanted to test it in a Dell E5570.
I’ve tried everything mentioned here and more with no success… maybe this will help someone:

zukota.com/sierra-wireless-em74 … vo-laptop/

• Do not install any drivers
  • Download following Driver Pack: mega.nz/#!SYcBRR5S!KLBFTWvQ3cFK … 3LsXGcc3Ng
  • in Device Manager find the EM7455 device which Hardware-ID ends with “&MI_03” (its the Modem Device, “MI_03” always corresponds to the AT command COM port)
  • Update Driver > Browse my Computer > pick from a list of device drivers etc… > chose x86 or x64 directory and choose “Huawei Incorporated“ then “HUAWEI Mobile Broadband – Modem"
  • the Modem started and i could connect with putty on specified COM port !

now you can do the rest from the second post:
6- Open AT Port (with Putty or other program) and excute this commands:
AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
AT!USBPID=9071,9070
AT!USBVID=1199
AT!USBPRODUCT=“EM7455”
AT!PRIID=“9904802”,“001.001”,“Generic-Laptop”
AT!RESET
7- Install Sierra Wireless drivers.
8- Done :smiley:

I’m trying to follow this, to rebrand a Dell 5811e to generic, but for some reason, I cannot get it to work. I can connect to the modem without problem, but attempting to set the USB PID/VID just gives an error:

AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
OK
AT!USBPID=9070
ERROR
AT!USBVID=1199
ERROR

I cannot even query them:
at!usbvid?
ERROR
at!usbpid?
ERROR

Is the firmware too old, and I need to get it upgraded to get this to work ?
Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model: EM7455
Revision: SWI9X30C_00.08.02.00 r1706 carmd-fwbuild4 2015/03/10 08:07:02

Okay, it seems this is some ancient firmware version and the commands are different; I needed to use
AT!UDPID=
AT!UDVID=

to get the modem rebranded. Unfortunately now, however, I’m unable to firmware update to something more modern. I will open a new topic on that.

Hello… I’m new into PuTTY and need a help when trying to reset my Sierra EM7355…

I have installed the HUAWEI modem on MI_03 and windows recognized it on my device manager…

I have set the BaudRate of teh modem on device manager to 115200…

Opening the PuTTY I have selected “Serial” and As Speed I selected “115200” and teh Serial Line I set to “Com 4” which is the port of my modem.;

A command screen opens and when I write AT!ENTERCND=“A710”

It just return ERROR…

Could you please help?

I need to reset my EM7355 Modem…

Any help will be apreciated

Hi cabecinhas12,

Please raise a new thread instead reply to an old post since 2016…

To reset, please try either one below:

AT!RESET
AT+CFUN=1,1

By the way, not sure why you need to install 3rd party driver.
The latest driver for EM7355 is available below:
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/airprime-em_mc-series-windows-drivers-qmi-build-latest-release/

Hope it helps.
Thx

All the info I needed but the issue I ran into was using copy/paste from your post because the quotes got converted to proper open and close quotes that the modem reported error to…

Dell Sierra EM8805 4G

I bought the product, I want to use it in LattePanda 3 Delta. I plugged the product into the corresponding m2 port and there is no problem. Drivers have been loaded. but my sim card is not active. What do I have to do in this situation.

I think in my case the biggest issue was the IMPREF setting

AT!IMPREF="AUTO-SIM"