Using any EM7355 on any Linux PC

After hunting google and forums there is not a specific answer to this question: If a mini-PCIe 4G LTE card says for a specific device vendor like “Lenovo” or “Dell” will it work with any computer running Linux if put the EM7355 into a M.2-to-USB adapter like: “NGFF(M.2) to USB” with “Sierra Wireless EM7355 Gobi5000 4G LTE” module found in this Amazon wish list: a.co/0rY5mRc

Specifically this card:

EM7355 Gobi5000 LTE/EVDO/HSPA+ 42Mbps NGFF M.2 Card 4G Module USE For Lenovo Thinkpad T431s T440 T440s T440p T540P W540 X240 FRU: 04W3801

Q. Does it work fully with any computer running Linux…

As a side note according to this website it is compatible with Linux:
sierrawireless.com/products … cts/em7355 )

Thank you, J

Hello,

I believe that EM7355 is “configured” for that specific model. For other models I believe you should use “default” EM7355 instead. I’ve EM7455 (default) and tested (internally) on DELL E7270 , through M.2 to mPCIE (converter) on LENOVO X220/X220T where working fine. I’ve tested the same for M.2 to USB converter on HP 9470 and working fine.

Thank you zainol69,

when you say “configured” is this a permanent configuration or can the “EM7355 for Lenovo” be re-configured? For example, flashing new firmware to make it “default”?

The card is selling for an extremely good price on Amazon but it says:

“EM7355 Gobi5000 LTE/EVDO/HSPA+ 42Mbps NGFF M.2 Card 4G Module USE For Lenovo Thinkpad T431s T440 T440s T440p T540P W540 X240 FRU: 04W3801”

If new firmware can be flashed to the EM7355 to make it fully compatible with any Linux PC?

-J

Hello,

I believe can be done, but at 1st must be installed that lenovo specific drivers. Whilst all related devices are shown inside Windows Device Manager for Items (Modem, Ports, Networks and USB) then you can change that specific “USB???” from “LENOVO” to “GENERIC” (please refer to documentation). After this all then you can install SIERRA QMI “generic” drivers instead.

Hello,

Just want to give another info … you can refer with below website.

https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/rebrand-em7455-lenovo-to-dell/8914/7

Thank you everyone for your help. Because of your help I purchased the hardware mentioned and now I am trying to absorb all the information and PDFs. Wow, there is so much to learn and geek out with!

Just to check back with the forum here are some issues that came up:

The /dev/ttyUSB* would not appear when the device was connected. Please see this post for reference:

[url]https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/solved-ttyusb-not-created-w-ubuntu-or-qmi-drivers-em7355/9644/1]

Sincerely,
J

If you already have the PC available to you, you probably shouldn’t spend much time researching how compatible it is with Linux.