IDE & programming

Hi. We will need to make our future product with quick 2686 modul.

Questions:
1.)
Do we get Open AT IDE and rest of the software tools together with this modul or do we have to pay extra for IDE ?

2.)
Can we download and test the IDE before we have buyed the 2868 modul ?

3.)
Are there any tutorials on how to program such GSM modul (2868 - 32 bit ARM chip ).

Best regards !

You really need to contact your distributor about this!

See also: wavecom.com/modules/movie/sc … php?t=1021

Thank you for your replay.

Tell me… is it possible to program Q2686 with some other tool… like:

ARM realView Development tools

2.)what demo board would you suggest for such application ?

3.) what tools would you use for such application ?

Thank you!

Relative to the ARM realView tools, you can consider that the Open-AT SDK is free! :open_mouth:

I obtained the SDK “bundled” with a Fastrack modem Kit, so I don’t have the price (if any) of the SDK separately itemised - but the cost of the Kit was not a large increase on the cost of just an individual Fastrack modem.

Again, if you want to know if Open-AT is compatible with realView, you’d have to ask your distributor.

The documnetation speaks of ADS - I dunno if that’s just an old name for realView, or if ADS compatibility implies realView compatibility…

AFAIK, newer realview packages include ADS still.

While the tools included with OAT SDK are free, you’ll have to also remember that they require more of the modules RAM and that the binaries produced are much larger than ADS compiled binaries.

It’s a tradeoff you have to do. If your application is very large or have large memory requirements, it may be worth looking at shelling out about 6k USD on realview, or see what you can do to reduce requirements of your application.

Do you have any examples to quantify that?

Is it that GCC is particularly bad, or that ADS is particularly good?

Well… To begin with…
The wmmake script doubles the stack size you define (triples for OAT4 I think) if you have GCC set.
This bit me in the *** once as I had set my stack size such that with the doubling, the stacksize rolled over to 0 byte.

Binaries produced have been 50-100% larger than with ADS the times I have compiled with both to compare.

I can’t say if ADS is particularly good, or if GCC is particularly bad, but this is what I have found at least.

If you’re running into RAM/ROM restrictions, it’s probably cheaper to just use another module or redesign the application to be more efficient instead of shelling out the money for ADS though.

Hello,

I really do not understand Wavecom. A deal should be made between ARM and Wavecom to realase a compiler for wavecom modules. There are already compilation tools for TTPCom, Symbian and BREW environment which could be bought seperately. Those compilers’ price are around 1.500 USD.
If you want to use the Arm ADS 1.2 compiler you have to buy the whole realview 3.0 developer environment for 6000 USD. (6750 floating license). You will get an adittional CD which includes the old ADS 1.2 developer enviroment. Of course you will only need the ADS 1.2 compiler from that.

Instead of using two compiler wavecom should concentrate on one compiler and we will get better OpenAT in less time.

1000-2000 USD for a company is no price, and if you are a hobby developer you can use the demo version of the compiler or :unamused: . I don’t think that wavecom sales come from hobby developers…

Anyway, i received official info that there is a big performence increase in the current RVCT 3.0 compiler (part of realview developer 3.0) compared to ADS 1.2, but you can only use ADS 1.2 ( or maybe RVCT 2.0) because OpenAT libaries are incompatible for the new compilers due to the byte order issue. I was said the GCC compiler is worse than ADS 1.2.

Best Regards,

tom

I really do not understand Wavecom

• I agree with that !

If im new and if i want to start to use some new wavecom device then im in big trouble…

The GCC tools are certainly adequate to make a start…

After some seeking i found some tools regarding q2686 & q2687 programming. If we remove the prize part of this tools, give me your final suggestion, what would you use for such wavecom modules and which tool has the support for such wavecom devices. ?

OpenAT SDK ( except this one )

Arm RealView

GCC

SDK on Eclipse

Thank you.

Yes RealView/ADS is a lot better than GCC but don’t forget that it’s free !

Which means, that you don’t need to pay an extra license to use the tool. So you can begin to work with Wavecom module immediately ! Without waiting, you can begin to work…

But may be your applications are really huge and need a real compiler ! In this case, that’s true, a good compiler is necessary.

OK. Im asking this becuse i can not find GCC with support for q2686 & 2687 modules. Can you give me download link ?

Of course you can’t!
GCC knows nothing about Wavecom modules - or any other products that might happen to use ARM processors.

GCC is a compiler - all it knows about is the ARM processor.

Isn’t it included with the Wavecom SDK?

It certainly was with mine!

Ask to your distributor the latest available SDK. You’ll get everything. Compiler, IDE and sample project…

And, most important, documentation.

Be sure to thoroughly read the documentation!

And study the examples.