SDK in a Virtual Machine! This may be your solution, too..

Hello everybody,

There are so many versions of OpenAT now, and on each computer you can only have one version installed… We have switched to virtual machines, because we just can’t have so many computers dedicated to development of OpenAT applications!

On one high end computer (2 processors, 1GB main memory) we simulate an entire computer with Microsoft’s “Virtual PC”. It runs Windows XP and just has the SDK from Wavecom installed. We do that for every version we are interested in (takes up 2-3 GB of harddisk space per virtual machine). The best is that you can suspend and resume the machines at a later time - very similar to hibernate, you can continue your work at the same state you have left it - no need to wait for the entire boot up process…).

Virtual PC does give you virtual serial ports which you can map to the real ones on your machine (which could also be usb<->serial converters there). This works pretty good for us with OpenAT so far.

Now you don’t have to switch computers and you don’t need to reboot your ‘real’ computer when you switch the SDK…

Best Regards,
Jan

Hi Jan
I use the “WmOatSettings.exe” program to switch between my openat versions
and it works fine for me I have 5 different versions of openat on my PC (because I have to give support on all of them)
Here is the location of the file
%WMATHOME_DOS%\TgtGen\WmGen\WmOatSettings.exe

Best regards
Walter

Hi Walter,

Thanks! That sounds a lot easier… We just did this because our distributor always told us that you can’t have more than one version on the same PC… But it might be true for the very old version 2.0 which we are still using, too…

Best Regards,
Jan

Hi Jan
Sorry I forgot about V2 :blush:
It has been a while since I last used V2
Why are you still using V2?
V3 has much more features and better stability with all the features of V2 and more.
Best Regards
Walter

Hi Walter,

I would switch to OpenAT 3.x in no time - if we hadn’t encountered problems with all OpenAT 3 versions for our currently released projects… And the new features we do not need for these projects… We are starting a new development with OpenAT 4 (where we will need the new features).

The major problem that still exists for us on OpenAT 3.04 is that the generating of tones had been changed after OpenAT 3.02. (In 3.02 it was still the same as in 2.0, I think, and this version worked fine with the tones except that it had a pretty bad bug with AT+CCED…)

Now, our application depends heavily on using the AT+WTONE, which on newer versions is also depeding on the AT+VGR setting… That makes our sounds come out in very low noise and the built in vibrator makes more noise than the ring tones. :slight_smile:

It would mean to put a lot of development in already released projoects to compensate for the change in the core firmware. But we don’t have the man power to do that right now…

Best Regards,
Jan