MC7455 running with OpenWRT on Raspebbry Pi

Hi,

I am trying to run the MC7455 with a Raspberry Pi over USB and I am running into a few issues. So far I have installed “uqmi” package and status shows that I am successfully connected to data with 3G.

I however do not seem to connect to 4G. I have LTE Enabled SIM card from Rogers and it works fine on my other devices.

I was also wondering how I would be able to install the modem manager. I have tried it a few times by manually creating a custom feed in /etc/opkg/ but have not been successful. Here is the link to Aleksander’s modemmanager git: https://bitbucket.org/aleksander0m/modemmanager-openwrt/src/c31ae39192ecb58b5fd60dd8c3641f976cf789c9/README?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

I have the Go drivers extracted from Sierra’s website but don’t know how I’d be able to compile them.

Lastly how can I get the GPS to work and get data out of it? From my previous with other GPS modules I get GPS data by simply doing a cat /dev/USB* but in this case I do not get any data out.

I am pretty new to Linux so any help is welcome, plus any tools that can help me set this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

The MC7455 is primarily an LTE module here in North America, with 3G UMTS fallback. Check the following AT commands:

1. ATI9
  2. AT!GSTATUS?
  3. AT!SELRAT?
  4. AT!BAND?
  5. AT+CGREG?
  6. AT+COPS?
  7. AT!IMAGE?
  8. AT!IMPREF?

I don’t have much guidance on using that modem manager, where using the Sierra Wireless SDK and APIs, we recommend blacklisting the modem manager.

It is advisable running on Linux to use the Sierra Wireless developed Linux SDK and drivers.
See the binary SDK and GobiSerial/Net driver located here:
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/linux-qmi-sdk-software-latest/
You can also sign a software license agreement to obtain the source code that is very easy to build on most Linux host devices.

The GPS/GNSS engine enumerates a dedicated “NMEA” port which is often ttyUSB1 but might vary with your Linux host. In Windows, it shows up as “NMEA COM” port. It will stream out NMEA strings and the GPS functionality can be found in the AT command documents.

I have successfully built the Linux SDK and drivers many times on the Beaglebone black and should be similar for the RaspPi.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response. How do I run AT commands in the terminal? What package do I need to install to run it in openWRT?

Also I am trying to figure out a way to install the Gobi drivers from Sierra. How do I do in in OpenWRT?

You’re welcome and you can use command line ‘echo’ or the minicom terminal program, connected to ttyUSB2 (usually this port) for AT commands. The Gobi drivers are source code and should build on most Linux distros, including OPenWRT. Ex:
cd GobiSerial, then: make, then: sudo make install
cd GobiNet, then: make, then: sudo make install

This should be all that is needed to build/compile on your Linux platform. When using the MC7455, since it is RAW IP based, you can make with RAWIP enabled as follows:
cd GobiNet, then: make RAWIP=1

Regards,

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I’m no able to see any ttyUSB under /dev but I do see cdc-wdm0 and cdc-wdm1. If I try to use cdc-wdm0 , minicom says that the device is offline. I am however able to use the uqmi commands to get the signal info and data status.

The other issue I am having is to make the Gobi files as you had suggested. I believe OpenWRT cannot perform it. For the drivers I had gone through the thread below but seems like I do not have qmicli on my OpenWRT.

Sorry, I am a bit lost here right now. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

For the Gobi drivers, you do not need qmicli on your device. The drivers are independent of the QMI application and APIs. You should be able to make the drivers and they do ls -l /dev/ttyUSB* and get a response of ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2. This is the first step before installing and building qmicli. By the way, I assume qmicli is an open source QMI application, like libqmi? The reason that I ask is that we really only support the Sierra Wireless Linux QMI SDK and not open-source QMI.

What Linux kernel for OpenWRT are you running?

Also, have you tried to install the drivers on Raspbian Linux distro that came with the RaspPi?

Regards,

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for all the help that you are providing. I am honestly not sure how I would be able to make the drivers in openwrt. And because of that I am not able to see the ttyUSB*. Yes it is an open source qmi app.

I am runnig 4.9.120 on the openWRT. I haven’t tried using it with Raspbian, but I’ll give a try on Ubuntu that I have on my laptop.

I would appreciate if you can let me know of any resources that you happen to stumble upon for openwrt running on raspberry pi.

Thanks again!

You’re welcome and when you do “make” and “make install” with the Gobi drivers, do you get error messages? What does your syslog show? I am familiar with Ubuntu, as that is the reference Linux distro we use here at Sierra Wireless for most development and testing. The instructions provided will also work in angstrom and debian, as I have built the drivers on those distros as well.

4.9.x is supported with the drivers and SDK.

I will check around here to see if we have any experience with OpenWRT on the RPi.

Regards,

Jon

Hey Jon,

Yes I just tried doing it on my Ubuntu and I am getting errors here aswell.

root@af-ThinkPad-E580:/home/af/Downloads/SIERRA DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54/GobiSerial# sudo make install
rm -rf *.o ~ core .depend ..cmd *.ko .mod.c .tmp_versions Module. modules.order .cache.mk
make -C /lib/modules/4.15.0-42-generic/build M=/home/af/Downloads/SIERRA DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54/GobiSerial modules
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-42-generic’
/bin/sh: 1: cannot create /home/af/Downloads/SIERRA/.cache.mk: Directory nonexistent
/bin/sh: 1: cannot create /home/af/Downloads/SIERRA/.cache.mk: Directory nonexistent
arch/x86/Makefile:156: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: gcc: command not found
./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 27: gcc: command not found
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
Makefile:975: “Cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel”
make[1]: *** No rule to make target ‘DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54/GobiSerial’. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-42-generic’
Makefile:22: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can you try to install the GobiSerial driver in a directory and just type “make” and let me know what happens.
It seems like you have an issue with a non-existent directory and just try as shown in the application developer’s guide. Let me know what happens…

make -C /lib/modules/4.15.0-42-generic/build M=/home/af/Downloads/SIERRA DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54/GobiSerial modules
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-42-generic’

Hey Jon,

A bit of a struggle there but I think i have it installed now. Can you please confirm?

af@af-ThinkPad-E580:~/Downloads/SIERRA_DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54$ modinfo GobiSerial
filename: /lib/modules/4.15.0-42-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/GobiSerial.ko
license: Dual BSD/GPL
description: GobiSerial
author: Qualcomm Innovation Center
version: 2018-10-26/SWI_2.35
srcversion: 03922D9654BAD2000129EAC
alias: usb:v1199p9061ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9060ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9056ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9055ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9054ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9053ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9051ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9041ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9040ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v03F0p371Dddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v03F0p361Dddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9019ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9018ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9015ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9014ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9013ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9012ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9011ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9010ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p90C1ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p90C0ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p90B1ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p90B0ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9091ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9090ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9110ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9102ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9100ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9070ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9071ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p68C0ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p68A2ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v05C6p920Dddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v05C6p920Cddcdscdpiciscipin
depends: usbserial
retpoline: Y
name: GobiSerial
vermagic: 4.15.0-42-generic SMP mod_unload
parm: debug:Debug enabled or not (int)
parm: flow_control:flow control enabled or not (int)
parm: ignore_gps_start_error:allow port open to success even when GPS control message failed (int)
parm: delay_open_gps_port:Delay Open GPS Port, after device ready (int)
parm: iusb3_zlp_enable:0 = Disable , 1 (default) ZLP on USB3 in QDL mode (int)
af@af-ThinkPad-E580:~/Downloads/SIERRA_DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54$ modinfo GobiNet
filename: /lib/modules/4.15.0-42-generic/kernel/drivers/net/usb/GobiNet.ko
license: Dual BSD/GPL
description: GobiNet
author: Qualcomm Innovation Center
version: 2018-10-26/SWI_2.54
srcversion: B3B3A111F9EB21058A2DC11
alias: usb:v1199p9110ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9102ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9100ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p90C1ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p90B1ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9091ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9070ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9061ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9056ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9055ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9054ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9053ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9051ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9041ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p68C0ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9071ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v03F0p371Dddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9019ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9015ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9013ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p9011ddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v05C6p920Dddcdscdpiciscipin
alias: usb:v1199p68A2ddcdscdpiciscipin
depends: usbnet
retpoline: Y
name: GobiNet
vermagic: 4.15.0-42-generic SMP mod_unload
parm: debug:Debuging enabled or not (int)
parm: qos_debug:QoS Debuging enabled or not (int)
parm: interruptible:Listen for and return on user interrupt (int)
parm: txQueueLength:Number of IP packets which may be queued up for transmit (int)
parm: iTEEnable:-1 : Ignore TE flow Control, 0 : TE Flow Control disabled, 1 : TE Flow Control enabled (int)
parm: iRAWIPEnable:RAWIP enabled or not (int)
parm: iQMAPEnable:-1: Auto, 0 : QMAP disabled, 1 : QMAP enabled (int)
parm: iMaxQMUXSupported:-1: Auto, Max QMUX instance support (int)
parm: iIPAlias:0 = virtual adapter , 1 (default) = IP alias (int)
af@af-ThinkPad-E580:~/Downloads/SIERRA_DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54$ sudo rmmod GobiSerial
rmmod: ERROR: Module GobiSerial is not currently loaded

In the userguide it says that I need to unload drivers but as you can see in the last line you can see it is saying that it is not loaded. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for all your help Jon.

You’re making progress and you don’t have to unload the drivers under normal operation. Skip this past and with the module connected to your RPi over USB, for GobiSerial, type:ls -l /dev/ttyUSB* and let me know what you return? Also, for GobiNet, type: ls -l /dev/ttyQCQ* and let me know…

Here it is Jon. I did not see any device by the name of ttyQCQ. I still see cdc-wdm0 and cdc-wdm1 though.

root@af-ThinkPad-E580:/dev# ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jan 10 16:24 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 Jan 10 16:24 /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 2 Jan 10 16:24 /dev/ttyUSB2
root@af-ThinkPad-E580:/dev# ls -l /dev/ttyQSQ*
ls: cannot access ‘/dev/ttyQSQ*’: No such file or directory

I am simultaneously working on the rspberry Pi aswell. It doesn’t like compiling the make file there for some reason.

OK and progress with the GobiSerial and for the the Net my typo. It should be:$ ls -l /dev/qcq*
and you should have returned qcqmi0 or qcqmi1.

Jon

Hey Jon,

No it there is no device under with that name. However I do see cdc-wdm0 and cdc-wdm1 along with ttyUSB1,2 and3 there. Please have a look at my dmesg below.

usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-1: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 8 but max is 4
usb 1-1: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 10 but max is 4
usb 1-1: config 1 has no interface number 1
usb 1-1: config 1 has no interface number 4
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1199, idProduct=9071
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1: Product: Sierra Wireless MC7455 Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: LQ83260271021025
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_wdm
usbcore: registered new interface driver qcserial
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for Qualcomm USB modem
qcserial 1-1:1.0: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0
qcserial 1-1:1.2: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB1
qcserial 1-1:1.3: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB2
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.8: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.8 wwan0: register ‘qmi_wwan’ at usb-0000:00:14.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 96:dd:94:1f:43:ea
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.10: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.10 wwan1: register ‘qmi_wwan’ at usb-0000:00:14.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 96:dd:94:1f:43:ea
usbcore: registered new interface driver qmi_wwan
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.8 wwp0s20f0u1i8: renamed from wwan0
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.10 wwp0s20f0u1i10: renamed from wwan1
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 6
qcserial ttyUSB0: Qualcomm USB modem converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
qcserial 1-1:1.0: device disconnected
qcserial ttyUSB1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
qcserial 1-1:1.2: device disconnected
qcserial ttyUSB2: Qualcomm USB modem converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2
qcserial 1-1:1.3: device disconnected
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.8 wwp0s20f0u1i8: unregister ‘qmi_wwan’ usb-0000:00:14.0-1, WWAN/QMI device
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.10 wwp0s20f0u1i10: unregister ‘qmi_wwan’ usb-0000:00:14.0-1, WWAN/QMI device
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-1: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 8 but max is 4
usb 1-1: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 10 but max is 4
usb 1-1: config 1 has no interface number 1
usb 1-1: config 1 has no interface number 4
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1199, idProduct=9071
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1: Product: Sierra Wireless MC7455 Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: LQ83260271021025
qcserial 1-1:1.0: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0
qcserial 1-1:1.2: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB1
qcserial 1-1:1.3: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB2
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.8: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.8 wwan0: register ‘qmi_wwan’ at usb-0000:00:14.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 96:dd:94:1f:43:ea
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.10: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.10 wwan1: register ‘qmi_wwan’ at usb-0000:00:14.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 96:dd:94:1f:43:ea
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.8 wwp0s20f0u1i8: renamed from wwan0
qmi_wwan 1-1:1.10 wwp0s20f0u1i10: renamed from wwan1

Also I do want to mention when I try to do this step. I get the error below. Same for GobiNet.
root@af-ThinkPad-E580:/home/af/Downloads/SIERRA_DRIVERS/S2.35N2.54/GobiSerial# sudo modprobe GobiSerial [debug=Y]
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘GobiSerial’: Required key not available

If you are loading on the GobiSerial and GobiNet drivers, then you need to blacklist the kernel QMI drivers qc_serial and qmi_wwan. Blacklist these kernel drivers and then reset the board and you should show the ttyUSB and qcqmi drivers.

Hey Jon,

So I got the modprobe step working. There was something that needed to be changed in the BIOS of my computer. Looks like the drivers are installed and I have blacklisted qc_serial and qc_wwan in the blacklist-modem.conf file aswell. But I do not see any qcqmi devices under /dev.

If you are running the MC7455, this module only works on RAWIP. Make sure you build the GobiNet for RAWIP=1 as shows in the application developer’s guide. Reset after building and make sure your module is connected and you should see the qcqmix port. If not, let me know what your USB composition is set to: AT!USBCOMP? per the AT command manual that you can find on the source.sierrawireless.com. If set to MBIM and you don’t see rmnet, then we might need to set for Linux enumeration. Let me know…

Hey Jon,

Yes I had built the Gobinet with RAWIP=1 and it still did not show the qcqmix port under /dev. How can I pass AT commands to themodem?

OK on RAWIP=1 and please connect to ttyUSB (ls -l /dev/ttyUSB) with echo or minicom. As previously stated, ttyUSB is the default AT command port. Then, check the AT!USBCOMP? and report back on the response.