Leaf swi-linux wp77xx

I am a bit confused about few things.

In firmware release 9, 9.1, and 11, when downloading from source.sierrawireless.com yocto was always built for an mdm9x28.
When using leaf, suddenly yocto is built for an mdm9x06.
Looking at the product technical specification for the WP77XX the core is a mdm9x06 core.

Would the linux source built for an mdm9x28 be incompatible with an mdm9x06?

This is only half the problem though, as when I try to build the linux source after downloading using leaf it is missing the meta-swi-mdm9x06 layer and the build fails.

If you get WP77 Linux source from https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/wp77xx/wp77xx-firmware-latest-release-components/, you can do cd yocto;make and it will generate a yocto_wp77xx.4k.cwe file that you can use.

I am aware of that link, I mentioned that I have previously gotten the source code from there.
My issue is with the source provided through leaf.

Evidently the source was released without being tested, because it fails to compile.

The manifest.json file for firmware 11 it sets the variable MACH to mdm9x06 which the makefile uses to add layers which don’t exist in the source files.

Hi @uncleshibba, we’ll check the issue and address it. thanks.

Performing leaf update and moving to the newest version removed the error and I can now compile the linux src retrieved through leaf.

BUT

make toolchain_bin fails on the most recent swi-linux-src for the wp77xx.

I downloaded the latest R11 WP77 source from source.sierrawireless.com and I was able to run “make toolchain_bin” successfully. I have a Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS 64 bit with all latest updates.

Hi Joseph.

I think you knew that I was referring to the firmware released through leaf.
From your response it sounds like you aren’t recommending I use leaf.
I think I will abandon leaf for now as I can’t get Legato to build with it either.

I did notice that the firmware built through leaf and the release 11 from source.sierra produced firmware files of a different size.
Doing a diff of release 11 from source.sierra and gerrit shows that there are heaps of differences. That doesn’t sit right with me, as I expect a release to be immutable.

Thanks for your time though, I appreciate getting a response.

Hi @uncleshibba
I use leaf for Legato and Legato applications, but I do not use leaf for Linux source code management. I do that separately and so I did not realize that you’re using leaf. My bad. It’s just a personal choice. I will let the leaf team know about your concerns and we’ll make leaf more robust. Thanks.