Hello_world Error - application with a lower start address

I’m trying to download the hello_world program (I named it TestProject, but have made no actual changes to it) to my SL6087 through Developer Studio and the USB connection on the SL Dev Board. I’m able to create the OpenAT project and build it, but when I go to download it to my module I get the following error:

Download file TestProject.dwl to port COM6, reload informations and check => ERROR: An application with a lower start address (0x260000, while the application to be download was linked at 0x2A0000) is already present on the target module.
Please erase it before trying again to download.
Download file TestProject.dwl to port COM6, reload informations and check => ERROR: An application with a lower start address (0x260000, while the application to be download was linked at 0x2A0000) is already present on the target module.
Open port COM6 => DONE: Success
Wait for USB port to reconnect => NO NEED TO DO IT: Success
Open port COM6 => NO NEED TO DO IT: Success
Pause : 1000 milliseconds => NO NEED TO DO IT: Success
Waiting for module detection => DONE: Target detected sn:BE1440004204210 baudrate:null
Switch to Development mode and check => DONE: Success
Switch to Development mode => DONE: Success
Pause : 300 milliseconds => DONE: Success
Check dev mode unlocked => DONE: Success
Enable persistent development mode => DONE: Success
Show a CONFIRM dialog with message => NO NEED TO DO IT: Success
DWL File parsing => DONE: Success
Show a CONFIRM dialog with message => NO NEED TO DO IT: Success
Load model element: Target Informations => DONE: Target Informations received: [dwlBean=size=54744, buildDate=061810 16:42, version=V08b0k, checksum=-273585071, startAddress=65536, fwBean=size=2146096, buildDate=083110 12:12, version=R7.44.0.201008311212, checksum=1164767612, startAddress=131072, modemBean=, appBean=size=176016, buildDate=072810 14:13, version=, checksum=-71540531, startAddress=2490368 components={Open AT Firmware Package=7.42.0.201003050914, Developer Studio=1.1.2.201005261706-R4588, Open AT OS Package=6.34.0.201007121014, foo Plug-in Package=1.0.0.I201007281411}, name=, companyName=, , totalRAMSize=2097152, totalFlashSize=8388608, maxOatAppFlashSize=4194304, maxADFlashSize=786432, appStarted=false, localPortID=3, SL6087G, SL6087, , false, 0]
Check pre-condition before download => ERROR: An application with a lower start address (0x260000, while the application to be download was linked at 0x2A0000) is already present on the target module.
Check if target WCPUID is compatible with application => DONE: Target WCPUID is compatible with application
Check if the Open AT area size is enough => DONE: Success
Check application overwrites the current flash mapping => DONE: No flash mapping
Check total flash size of the Open AT application => DONE: Success
Check if the file already has been downloaded on target => DONE: File is different from the target one.
Check start addresses => ERROR: An application with a lower start address (0x260000, while the application to be download was linked at 0x2A0000) is already present on the target module.

I don’t know what this means, nor do I know how to delete anything from my module. Has anyone seen this before?

Your application project is built with an Open AT Application Framework project which is more recent that the Firmware which is running on your device.
You have two options:

• [Recommended] either upgrade your device to 7.51 FW version (bootloader, and then FW)
  • or download the Open AT Application Framework version compatible with your device (2.34)

Thanks a lot daav - I will try that. Do you have a recommendation for the easiest way to upgrade the firmware on my module? In another thread I’ve seen two methods: one involving an application DWLWin which I can’t seem to find, and the other being hyperterminal based which has been a little finicky for me.

Also - is there a different procedure for updating the bootloader? I only have the firmware download file and procedures for updating it.

Thanks a lot for you help

Sorry - let me update this. I found DWLWin on the Sierra website (it took a little digging), but now I’m getting errors when using the tool.

When I click the start button after following the instructions here

(mycusthelp.net/SIERRAWIRELESS/_c … EE&aid=488)

I get this message:
Please reset the board to perform autodetection

and then eventually:
Boot failure: unknown baseband or unexpected answer received
Cannot boot up the remote target: autodetection failed

The development environment can find my module, and the discovery tool as well (although the discovery tool is a little more flaky). Why is the connectivity so tenuous? Is the USB interface not as reliable as the serial ports?

This is completely resolved now. Just in case anyone was wondering, I ended up using the Development Environmnent’s Target Management perspective to upload the bootloader and firmware (in that order) and this problem went away. The Dev Environment’s interface is by the far the slickest of any of the other tools I tried to use - awesome.

Thanks for your help Daav

You have to make sure the units is in bootloader mode when using DWLWin. This involves pulling the BOOT pin to 1V8 and then resetting the module. Only then can DWLWin connect.